Saturday, June 8, 2013

Why Games are Important to Me


At the time of writing this, I finally hit 1,000 page views. Thank you to everyone that reads my blog! I never thought I would reach that number in less than 6 months, but I did. So again my viewers, thank you. For this occasion, I want to share with everyone why video games are so important to me. I can always blog about games, but it never really makes sense unless you know why that is.

Video games make me feel involved. Have you ever went to a movie or looked at a painting and thought, "Hey this is really nice, but something is missing". That's because you can't be involved in the person's story telling, you can only view and be in awe or disgust with the product. When I watch a Batman movie, I find it entertaining to watch as he purges crime from Gotham City, but I am not involved in this said purging. The minute I begin playing a game like Demon Souls though, I feel like I am involved in my created character's struggle to survive. I understand the pains and tribulations that he must go through in order to complete his objective just as I can only watch Batman struggle without really understanding those two subjects.Video games make me feel involved and that's important to me.

Many video games allow me to craft my own character and determine his or her development. What's entertainment if you are not fully involved with your own created persona? I can't bring to life other people's creations.  When I create a character, I am creating a person that will develop in the developer's own world. An example would be in Fable.You choose the path to be a good guy or bad. When I look at a picture, that variable is already set for me. Either the guy in the picture is good or the guy in the picture is bad and I have to deal with it. Well that sucks. When I have the ability to craft my own persona in a game, that is important to me.

Lastly, games are just fun. While I can only spend an hour watching some crappy movie, I can play a great game for more. I do find it entertaining to explore new worlds that could never exist. I don't care if some bank is being robbed in Batman, I care more that a giant dragon is about to rain hell on some poorly crafted cottages in some random meadow. I'll let the police do their job and the paper work while I tame the mega-beast. I get bored watching people do stuff. Why not throw me a flippin' controller and let me take passenger seat in a Warhog. Why not let me craft my own fun? Don't set the standard of fun because you

Basically, video games are important because I am involved more with them. I am the hero, not the spectator. I could go on-and-on, but it's Saturday and most of us want to go have fun! Until tomorrow or Monday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment