Thursday, June 20, 2013

New Age Video Games: My Rant

Lately, I find myself playing a lot of older video games and action role-playing games. This ranges from games like Shinning Force I  to Phantasy Star Online to Persona 3. These are games that I have beaten multiple times over the last two decades and yet, I am still playing and finishing them with much enthusiasm. I don't really find myself finishing many new games. I honestly think the last game I beat that's new was Fire Emblem: Awakening. That's a problem when most major games will cost you $59.99 for a new copy of what might sit and collect dust on your shelf. 

I know why newer games don't hold my interests and I bet this rings true to many gamers. Video games are becoming interactive movies. When I turn on a game and start playing, I don't ask to sit through 30-minutes of cutscenes and asked to press buttons the whole time. That's no fun to me. I want to move my character(s) around the map, battling foes, and winning the hearts of virtual princesses. I don't want to sit there while some stereotypical angry white guy is beating up some baddies for me while I press a button on screen. What am I, 3 years old and learning shapes? It's insulting as a video game enthusiasts to be treated as a child in a digital world.

A great example of this is the beginning of Uncharted 3. When you first start the game, you are lead into a bar scene that goes on for an eternity. Once the actual game play starts, I am moving around and coordinating button presses against the gang. The game even tells me what buttons to press and mash. That's not fun at all. Well, depending on the game, it can be a little fun, but if I wanted to play Dance Dance Revolution, I would of laid down a mat and started jumping up and down like an idiot.

There really is a difference between compelling story telling in a movie and in a video game. Take an example from one of my favorite games, Final Fantasy IX. Not only is there a great story with great scenes, there was an actual game to play. You had to spend time building up your characters equipment, magic, and levels. I didn't just press a bunch of buttons for 40 hours to feel like I sat through an expensive movie. I was part of that game and story. If I wanted to see a scene, it wasn't just given to me, I had to find it or progress through the story to see it. Now, I have to progress through movie scenes to find the actual game. That's the difference. When a game company made a compelling story, the game play was still valued more. What these newer game developers are doing is forgetting that one value. They are valuing the cinematic over the game play. That sucks.

I understand that these games aim for sales to make money. I know these games need to appeal to a large demographic to make sales meet. Why does it have to be at the expense of actual game play? There is a reason why Retro/Indie games are becoming popular now. These developers keep the game part of video games in their products. They are not looking for a blockbuster interactive movie, but know they will make their money delivering an awesome product for me to play.

What happened to the gaming industry? Has it become such a huge machine that it forgot why it exists in the first place? Hopefully, with this new generation of gaming, we can get back to playing actual games.

No comments:

Post a Comment