Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pokemon Yellow: Totes Thursday's Classic

Gotta Shock 'Em All

The end of the 90's was a strange time for many of us young gamers. We were busy collecting monsters and battling our friends with them. We would have to do this all while balancing our school life. We called this addiction, Pokemon. Yes, that game they still make today and is still widely enjoyed by many. Back when I was a kid, this game started to catch on in the West. This was a time when color Gameboys were beginning to appear and most were the size of a steak. There was no backlighting for it either! The original Red and Blue versions were all kids could carry around with their pogs and floppy disks--I am that old, I still have a stack of them in my room.

I know someone that has a few of these
One version in particular is one I coveted the most, Pokemon Yellow. I loved the fact that Pikachu could follow your character around as long as he was in your party. That's like having a dog that can zap your annoying neighbor. This was also the first Pokemon game to actually have colors associated with the monsters. What really made this game great was the fact you could find all the starting Pokemon while on your quest. Your party would be stacked without a gameshark.  Of course, times change and people take this classic for granted. We always talk about Red/Blue/Green but never Yellow. The one Pokemon game that really brought a new franchise to a higher level of operations. Like I said, you had a monster follow you and there was color. That was pretty groundbreaking.

This one was a tough choice for me. I was always fond of this version and Silver, but Yellow one out. It is technically a classic and one of the originals. So Surfs up*!
How I spend most of my day


*If you didn't understand that, there was a hidden surfing game if Pikachu knew surf.

No comments:

Post a Comment