Monday, July 1, 2013

Quick Review: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

This past weekend began phase 3 of  beta testing for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. If you are wondering if a Realm Reborn is an expansion of the original FFXIV, it's not. It's an upgraded version of the original game. Apparently, the original FFXIV was terrible. Square decided to fix this by bringing a new team in and recreating this online MMORPG. They worked tirelessly to give us faith again in this company and their ability to make a good game. Anyway, that's enough for the history lesson.

When I first started this game, I was created with an epic cinematic experience. This entailed an amazing opening movie and an explanation of this new world. It was pretty cool to watch. The story really sets up for an epic fantasy, or at least a fantasy world for me to explore. After all that, I was brought to the character creation menu.

I have to say, not a lot of customization. If you do not count the color palates and the races, there isn't much in terms of aesthetic options. I do understand that it's a beta version, so I am not worried that there will be a lack of customizations for you persona. I do like the variety of races, sub-races. and classes you can choose. I obviously choose the manliest of the bunch with Highlander because anything with a beard says, "yes." I should have went with the Axe, but I choose lancer instead.

The game world is stunning. It was amazing how much detail went into this world. I felt like I was actually walking through an fantasy town located near the woods. Every color that needed to be bright, was bright and every leaf that needed to appear, appeared. The amount of detail in this world was pretty intense. You can tell that these developers really spent the time creating an awesome world. I honestly cannot wait to go adventure more next weekend so I can see more of the world they created. There are few games with this beautiful of a world.

Now for what some of you might be wondering. The game played out like any other MMORPG. Where Final Fantasy can innovate, it also reuses and tried and tested method of battle, the point and click. If you never played an mmorpg, it's all about grinding and looting. I can tell you right now, there will be a lot of it in this game. 

All in all, I enjoyed the game. There is still improvement needed like how other people move on your screen and more customization of your avatar, but I enjoyed the game overall. Until Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment