Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Best Videogame Moments Part 1: Link's Awakening DX

After reading a great article on ZeldaDungeon.net, I began to think what are some of my favorite videogame moments. I have to agree with the writer that one of the best moments is the whole beginning of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but there are obviously more great moments in videogame history. I had to sit and think for awhile what were my favorite moments in any particular game. There are just so many that I didn't even know where to begin. I figured the best course of action is to break these moments into parts periodically as I blog. In order to keep with the spirit of the article, I chose the ending for Link's Awakening DX. If you are wondering why I chose the DX version, it's simply due to the fact that the game was remade into color. I need no reasoning behind it.

Link's Awakening's ending is one of the greatest endings to any Zelda game I have ever played. The whole time you were just in the Wind Fish's dreams and that none of the people you encountered were real but you. That's right, they were all made up to help you on your journey to defeat the evil inside the Wind Fish. That means Marin, the owl, and all the other things on Koholint were just illusions. Does that mean that every relationship Link encountered was not real? Is this story trying to tell us that everything disappears and is only a fleeting memory?

What really makes this ending one of the best videogame moments in history has Link looking onto the horizon knowing those bonds that were created were real, even if they were short lived. Just because everyone and everything vanished does not mean that the feelings weren't real. As Link continues on his journey, this will always be real for him.

What really killed me is the part after "the end" appears. After these words scroll onto the screen, a seagull appears. So what? Well, one of the biggest things in this game was Marin wishing that she could travel like a seagull or be a seagull--it's been almost 20 years since I completed the game--and it seems her wish came true.

Anyway, after the break, the ending will be in a video so you can either relive or see for the first time this magnificent ending.





No comments:

Post a Comment